Pages

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Savvy Saturday With Keith Willis, Author of Traitor Knight, and a Dragon

Welcome faithful readers to the wonderful Savvy Saturday! Today we have Keith Willis and a special, fiery friend to chat with us. If you don't know, Keith is one of our newer authors with his book Traitor Knight. Although this book is new, the reviews have been great! We are lucky to have Keith, even if his friend looks like he might eat us. Traitor Knight can be found on Amazon, Kobo, and at the Champagne Bookstore.
  Hello Keith! And…who is that next to you?

Keith: Meet Wyvrndell. He’s stretched out on the floor because you don’t actually have a couch that’s quite big enough. He’s—um…he’s a dragon. In case you might not have noticed. A rather large one…

Wyvrndell: (raises his head on a long snake-like neck to regard the interviewer through green faceted eyes)  (telepathically):  Of course the scales rather tend to give it away, eh?

Keith: Along with the wings, long spiky tail and the bits that breathe fire. Yeah, those are usually a pretty good indicator. Dragon in the house.

Wyvrndell: Well, yes, those as well, I suppose. (Shrugs apologetically).

Great! Welcome to the interview Wyvrndell. Please refrain from breathing fire if you don't like a question. How are both of you today?

Wyvrndell: Quite well, thank you. Feeling my age a bit, but who doesn’t? 

Keith:  (whispers) He’s about a thousand years old. Not terribly old, as dragons go, but he does get a bit touchy about it.

Wyvrndell: I heard that. And I don’t get touchy about it. I simply prefer not to dwell on it. (snorts a small gout of flame).

(Snickering) Ready to get started?

Wyvrndell: Certainly. Bring on your inquisitor. I’ll wager I can withstand his torment.

Keith: (whispers again) Wyvrndell, I told you, it’s NOT that kind of interview.

Wyvrndell: I don’t need an alibi? They’re not going to shine bright lights in my eyes and ask where I was on the night of the twelfth?

Keith: Not this lot.

Wyvrndell: Well where’s the challenge in that, then?  (regards the interviewer quizzically). Very well, proceed.

Ah, well...ok. First question: What is your biggest complaint about your job?

Wyvrndell: Ah, I’m so glad you asked. Bad press. We have a terrible reputation, you wouldn’t believe. Everyone thinks all we do is toast knights in their armor and snaffle maidens.

Keith: (eyerolls) And just what do you do, then?

Wyvrndell: (cocks his head thoughtfully, as a plume of steam escapes from his snout) Hmmm. I see what you mean. But be fair—you must admit, I haven’t devoured a maiden in centuries. And the only knights I incinerate, well, they started it. I mean, I’m quite willing to live and let live. But when some big oaf comes charging up waving a pointy sword at me, well I’m not just supposed to stand about and let him turn me into dragon shish kabob, am I?

Keith: Perhaps we’d better move along.

That might be best. If you could choose to do anything for a day, what would it be?

Wyvrndell: (grins a toothy dragon grin) That’s an easy one. Curl up in a nice spot of sun outside my cave, while one of those maidens reads to me. (holds up short forearms) We dragons have a rather difficult time with turning the pages. And we do love to listen to stories. Especially ones about heroic dragons. (regards Keith plaintively) Perhaps in your next book? Heroic dragons?

Keith: Told you, I’m on it. But wait a minute. Do you remember the last time a maiden read to you? Her voice finally gave out and…

Wyvrndell: Oh, I wouldn’t have actually eaten her. (tosses head) You humans take things so literally.

What is your favorite game or sport to watch and play?

Wyvrndell: (glances slyly at Keith) I love to watch Monday Knight Jousting. The kabob’s on the other skewer, so to speak.

If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Wyvrndell: Shish ka… Oh, all right. Actually, I prefer a nice roasted ox, thank you. Medium well, with lots of onions.

And finally, if you were a super-hero, what powers would you have?

Wyvrndell: Seriously? Think about it. I can fly. I can breathe fire. I live to several thousand years old. I have impenetrable armor. What could be better than that? I would think any self-respecting  super-hero would want to be ME.

I guess you are right! Thank you both for coming out, this was a lot of fun.

Keith: Thanks for having us. I hope you don’t mind the charred parts on the couch too much…

Wyvrndell: Oooh, sorry about that.


1 comment:

  1. No wonder I enjoyed working with Keith and Wyvrndell so much!

    ReplyDelete