Pages

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The hidden return - Michael Davis

If you’re an author associated with the big eight (Random house, Penguin, etc) chances are writing is more of a monetary endeavor than the 99.8% of published writers (like myself and many on this blog) who are driven because of the mental return offered by the writing experience. There’s another side of the “return” equation I had not explicitly considered until last week when a reader asked me about several scenes in my first novel TAINTED HERO that moved him in an emotional or humorous fashion. He asked where those particular scenes came from and as I often do, I explained that many things I write about are derived from my personal memories, friends and family. As I went on and on and on, I began to realize that there was an element to becoming a published writer that I had never before considered, namely: sharing my world with others in a form that will extend beyond my time.

You see, the vignettes based on the pain my grandmother suffered for being native American, or the humor from when my cousin whacked her husband in the head with a frying pan for going to a strip joint, or the moment I watched my dad give his lunch money for a month to a single mom out on her luck; they're all real. In these and other elements of my personal life that have flowed into my stories, writing has provided an outlet to share my memories with others, and in so doing broaden the awareness of the wonderful people that mean so much to me.

I also now realize the tremendous opportunity I’ve had as an author to convey to my grand daughter the degree to which she is loved by her Pa Pa. In two of my novels, the activities and scenes blended into the story for the little girl in BLIND CONSENT and SHADOW OF GUILT were based on things my GD was doing at the time or activities she and I were sharing together. At my stage of life I’m clever enough to grasp that each passing year reduces my changes of seeing her into adulthood. What better way to let a young woman know how important she is, that she was loved so much to always be in the thoughts of her father and Pa Pa, and what a gift she is to bring comfort into the lives of so many.

I never considered these intangible benefits when I starting writing, but now when I think about it, what more could you what?

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the year, 2008

1 comment:

  1. Mike, I agree with you 100%. I relive great moments from my past by incorporating them in my books. They may be well disguised or "direct hits".

    Julie Eberhart Painter
    Books-jepainter.com

    Entered by BM for Julie cause she could not get in

    ReplyDelete