Pages

Saturday, August 1, 2015

Amber Prelude by Kevin B. Henry Review from Long and Short Reviews

Amber Prelude by Kevin B. Henry

AMBER
Amber Prelude by Kevin B. Henry
Publisher: Burst Books
Genre: Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Historical
Length: Short Story (73 pages)
Rating: 3.5 Stars
Reviewed by Astilbe
When it’s sunny with a chance of time travel, where would you go if the world was at your feet and an assassin was on your trail?
Most people are constrained by time. Mitchell isn’t one of them. He can do anything he wants to do without any worry about running out of it.
What I appreciated the most about the main character was that he made intelligent decisions. They weren’t always decisions that I would have made in those particular situations, but I completely understood why Mitchell thought they were good ones. His thought processes were always logical. That is something that I really appreciate in a story!
The plot jumped among so many different times and places that I lost count of them all. In certain scenes it was confusing to keep track of when and where Mitchell was now because it all shifted so often and so rapidly. While I really liked seeing how this storytelling technique revealed certain facets of his character, it would have been easier to keep up with his latest setting if the narrator had been able to spend a little more time transitioning between them.
Imagine standing on the brink of a historical event and watching it unfold. I’ve often wished I had the ability to do that. The descriptions of what it felt like for Mitchell to experience things that happened long before he was born mesmerized me almost as much as the narrator’s explanation of how people like him can potentially affect the course of history. These passages were by far my favourite ones in this book.
Amber Prelude kept me on my toes. I’d recommend it to anyone who enjoys time travel tales.

No comments:

Post a Comment