Pages

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Savvy Saturday: Interview with Author Kay Latour

Today on Savvy Saturday we have new author Kay Latour here to answer some questions about her start as a writer! Let's give her a warm welcome to the CBG fold.

1. When and why did you begin writing?

About two years ago when my children reached ‘the age of reason’ I realized that I had the time to write. I had been reading about the craft on and off for several years before that time so I knew what I wanted to do. As I forged ahead I found that creating a story was as much fun as reading a story. Your time is spent in a different world. You think about it. Question it. Answer it. Build it. It’s fun!

2. Tell us your latest news?

I have a new publisher—Champagne Book Group!

3. When did you first consider yourself a writer?


I actually look at myself as a storyteller. It’s just you and me talking, maybe having a coffee, and I’m telling you about something that happened to someone I know. And you and I are discussing and feeling what that person went through. We laugh with her. We cry with her. And even when the worst is happening, we hope for the best for her.

4. Do you have a specific writing style?


Not necessarily. I do like to get to the point quickly. I’d rather headline and display the event first and then explain the why of it after.

5. How did you come up with the title?

Witch on Parole basically says it all. I wanted something short and to the point that would convey her situation.

6. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

Witch on Parole is about choices and changes and their direct effect on our lives. At any time, we can change our future through choice. That doesn’t mean we won’t make mistakes—but we will learn and possibly make better choices with that knowledge. So the question for Bryn was—what do you want your life to be like?

7. Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?


Getting the time to write. My children are grown now so I have more time.

9. Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

My sister told me, “you should write”. I guess my love of stories whether in book form, on TV, or at the movies prompted her to encourage me. From there I explored the craft, reading tons of books on writing. Eventually I decided to give it a shot and continuously tried to improve myself at every step of the game. And honestly, I’m not done learning. Each day provides a new opportunity for expression and experience and I believe that is what makes storytelling so fascinating.

10. Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

Writing has made me look at the world in a different way. I notice details like smells, sounds, tastes, sights, and touches more than before. It has sharpened my view.

11. Do you have any advice for other writers?
Write that book! Don’t listen to people who put you down for your dream. Their negative view is not about you, it’s about them. Just quietly forge ahead plugging along day after day and before you know it you’re not only there—you’re past there and onto the next thing!

12. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

Thank you, thank you, thank you. And you’re awesome of course!

13. What inspired you to write your first book?

It was time for me to try something that I’d been thinking about on and off for a long time. The idea that supernaturals could be living among us really appealed to me. And from there I started to ask questions. Where would they live? How would they be governed? What conflicts would they have with each other and humans?

14. Can you share a little of your current work with us?

Right now I am working on book three in the ‘Witch on Parole’ series. Bryn continues to grow and make changes as she gathers knowledge and directs her life path. There will be mistakes and challenges but that is how life goes. And we will share those moments with her.

15. Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?
No. It’s completely made up from a list of answers to a bunch of ‘What if?’ questions. That’s how I usually brainstorm for each book. Often I’ve created characters and events that never make it into the actual book. Then I start looking for a theme. And I direct my new list of ‘What if’s?’ toward that theme.

For example:

Book one is about choices and changes and how they affect our life path. There is no wrong or right about it. It’s all experience. And from that experience we make new choices that lead to new changes. After being incarcerated Bryn takes a good look at her life and how up until now she let others choose her path.

Book two is about lies and control. White lies are often told to make others feel better. Gray area lies are told to get out of trouble. And big ol’ fat lies are told to manipulate and lay blame. While wearing a ‘sunstone truth detector’ gemstone Bryn awareness of the amount of lying people do in daily life is sharpened. 

About the Author

Kay Latour resides in Ottawa – Canada’s capital city – with her Techie Wizard husband and two built-in-alarm-system Chihuahuas. She is a self proclaimed nerd and bookworm. She loves fantasy, paranormal and science fiction stories in book, TV or movie form. She patiently waits for the return of the science fiction series FIREFLY – Browncoats forever!

Early on she discovered that her elementary school library contained amazing books like Grimm’s Fairy Tales, Hans Christian Anderson’s Fairy Tales and Greek myths. The stories within spoke of goblins, witches, fairies, deities, giants and all manner of magical folk! Incredible! It struck a spark and stoked her imagination. From that time on she gravitated to any type of fantasy, mythology, science fiction or paranormal books she could get her hands on.

Now that Kay’s two children have reached ‘the age of reason’ she has time to write her own stories.

You can find Kay on her website, Fae and Witches and Ghosts - Oh My!, and soon will find her new book on the CBG website.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment